 Robotics / 4036
RE: SIGMA wants my Fire Extinguisher pics...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 26 Feb 1999 14:29:11 GMT

Ben Williamson wrote:

On Fri, 26 Feb 1999, Ralph Hempel wrote:

Dave, I think your animations are great, but I would think twice before
handing over the copyright, even with their generous offer of a "credit"

I don't consider granting the request to be a transfer of the copyright.
All the same, the images are your own and it's your call how you allow
them to be used.  Personally I get a kick from other people's interest in
what I built.

Oops. I guess I was up a little too late last night and let my fingers
go to work without checking with my brain. The original message DID say
that Dave would retain copyright. My mistake.

After thinking about it, your own personal feelings towards your work should
determine how you answer these requests. If you do this kind of animation
for fun and never expect to make any money from it, then you probably
would allow others to use it. If this is your main source of income, then
you are justified in charging some compensation.

Think about it this way...Your animation was SO good, that a marketing
company hired by a huge giant called LEGO was attracted to it. By putting
the
animation on their site, this marketing company hopes to attract more
clients
and earn more money. This is good for them, and the exposure is good for
you.

There, 'nuff said.

Cheers,

Ralph Hempel - P.Eng

Indside of a dog, it's too dark to read...
Reply to:      rhempel at bmts dot com