 Robotics / 4031
RE: SIGMA wants my Fire Extinguisher pics...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 26 Feb 1999 03:11:15 GMT

Dave wrote.....And normally I would snip this much out but it is appropos

Seems that a communications agency that did the promo for Mindstorms and
Cybermaster wants to use my Fire Extinguisher pics for a new website they
are doing.  Instead of trying to figure it all out, here is the message I
received:

Dear Dave

I am writing to you on behalf of a communication agency who have assisted
The LEGO Group in launching LEGO MINDSTORMS and LEGO Technic CyberMaster
(http://www.lego.com/computerlego). I am currently developing a web site
for the agency (SIGMA). On this site we are going to present the launch as
one of our cases, and with regard to this I would kindly ask if we could
use your animated Fire Extinguisher (animation and pictures). It is very
good and present the product much better as compared to a still
picture. If
you will allow us to use the GIF we shall of course respect your copyright
and refer to you on our web site.

Best regards,

Claus Moseholm

Dave, I think your animations are great, but I would think twice before
handing
over the copyright, even with their generous offer of a "credit"

You might want to see a lawyer for clarification, but here's my two cents...

1. LEGO is a big company, they pay marketing companies BIG dollars to
successfully
launch their products.
2. The SIGMA agency should already have a website.
3. If you do this kind of thing for a living, SOME compensation is
necessary, but
the free publicity can't hurt.
4. If you become too much bother, they will ask someone else.

There, that's confusing isn't it? Ask for some compensation, even if it's
LOTS of LEGO. I hear SIGMA has an inside track....

Cheers,

Ralph Hempel - P.Eng

A picture is worth a thousand words, but very few
sets of a thousand words can be adequately described
by a picture...
Reply to:      rhempel at bmts dot com