 Robotics / 395
Re: Help with my IR tower
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 10 Nov 1998 15:54:48 GMT

I've also just recently noticed very inconsistent operation with the IR tower
and win95. My latest theory is that I've recently added the USR/3com PalmPilot
software to my home PC which I know periodically polls the serial port (I've got
the IR tower and the Palmpilot cradle connected to COM1 thru a switchbox). I
plan on removing this software and seeing if that helps.

Do any of you other guys having trouble with the IR tower have the PalmPilot or
any other software that may mess with the serial ports?

<Josh>

Tom Pierce wrote:

Jeff -- I've hit the same issue with my tower. It starts off working fine,
but after around 5 or so minutes, it stops responding (and the old 'IR
Transmitter needs batteries or is in direct sunlight' message comes up). I
spent a couple of hours repeatedly trying to download the LEGO firmware to
the RCX -- it'd get about 75% done, then crap out (and only start working
again after a full system reboot).

This is on Win95. It's not the IR Tower itself, as I've used three different
towers (with fresh batteries) and gotten the same result. It only started
happening a couple of days ago, but has been consistantly irritable since.
No system changes have occured. I haven't had the time to really look into
what could be causing the problem.

Any info you find on this, please share, & I'll do the same.

By the way -- anyone else have trouble using RCX IR messages in NQC? I've
been unsuccessful in getting SendMessage() to work. Thanks all.

Tom Pierce
Manager of Web Services
Citrix Systems, Inc.