 Robotics / 3946
Re: links to pictures of Star Wars Mindstorms sets
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Mon, 22 Feb 1999 17:45:49 GMT

Observations:

It looks like it's the barcode pilot all over again: lots of brains isolated
from the outside world (scarce in/outputs).

Appearantly there is one motor and a speaker built in, and NO 9V in- or
output!

It wouldn't surprise me if it was using 6 V internally to save on battery
compartment space (like in the Remote Control car) and hence not able to
interface with 9V sensors/motors.

Also, like the barcode pilot, it takes ingeneous mechanics to make
interesting applications. In the R2D2-model, I assume  moving the motor one
way makes the front wheel turn forward, reversing the motor makes the front
wheel turn around. This way steering is possible by forward/reversing the
motor. Might look cute in the R2D2-model, but will be of very limited use
otherwise.

I really hate battery compartments permanently connected to the logic
circuitry. Combining all the gadgets we'll end up with means having many
battery sets in an advanced application, where even 1 wired adapter might
do.

Eric Brok
Ok, in itself the r2D2 model looks great. That's why it hurts; I'll be
buying one even when it's no useful addition to an RCX and a Cybermaster.