 Robotics / 3722
Re: rotation sensors and input limitations
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Sat, 13 Feb 1999 00:01:31 GMT

John A. Tamplin wrote:
On Fri, 12 Feb 1999, Bryan Beatty wrote:
...Basically, you take advantage of the slipping belt so that every time
you need to switch axle positions, you "re-zero" the axle position
against the physical limiter at A.  Thus, any errors of motor position
do not accumulate; the only error is whatever builds up in rotating from
A to B or C, once.  The tolerances on the motor and on the positioning
of B and C are probably good enough for this to work.
Another possible error is slippage of the belt (aside from when you want
it to slip at end-of-travel).  I haven't played with belts & pulleys much
because when I did at first I found slippage to be a problem.  Am I missing
something or are you saying it is a reasonable tradeoff for not using a
sensor input?

Well, it does have the limitation that you can't have a lot of torque on
the "switcher" shaft, but for some applications that may not be a big
problem.  It all depends:

1. how much torque do you need to rotate the switcher shaft, and
2. how precise does the switcher shaft position need to be?

High-torque, high-precision applications are going to be tough without
using an angle sensor.