 Robotics / 3705
Re: rotation sensors and input limitations
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 12 Feb 1999 19:51:19 GMT

John A. Tamplin wrote:
...I need to be
able to tell where the shifting mechanism is to make sure I consistently
get the proper gear, yet I also need to count the output of the "shifted"
motor (since it is doing things like moving arms etc, and if I rely on
timing it eventually gets off and I have no touch sensors to spare to detect
end-of-travel).

You've come up with an admirable solution to the problem!  Here's
another idea, one that works on a general class of problems and doesn't
require any sensor input for controlling motor positioning:

The general problem class is one where you're using a motor to control
some kind of switch, and need to move it back and forth among various
positions.  This generally requires knowing what the motor axle's angle
of rotation is.  Trying to do this via timing is sticky, because
inaccuracies accumulate and eventually cause it to drift off.  The
question is, how can one do this without requiring adding an angle
sensor to the axle?

Here's one approach:

Motor turns small pulley #1, which turns belt, which turns small pulley
#2.  Belt is not extremely tight, so it slips fairly easily.  Pulley #2
is on the "switcher" axle.  The switcher axle handles your control, and
you need to be able to position it accurately at, say, positions A, B,
and C.  A is the furthest to counterclockwise.

Attach some sort of a limiter to the "switcher" axle (say, an arm or
something) that prevents the axle from turning counterclockwise any
further than A.  If the motor tries to drive the axle further
counterclockwise than A, all that happens is the belt slips.

Let's suppose that if the switcher is at position A, it takes 0.3
seconds of clockwise motor output to move it to B, and another 0.3
seconds to reach C.  In this case,

To select A:  Rotate counterclockwise for 1 second.

To select B:  Rotate counterclockwise for 1 second, then clockwise for
0.3 seconds.

To select C:  Rotate counterclockwise for 1 second, then clockwise for
0.6 seconds.

...Basically, you take advantage of the slipping belt so that every time
you need to switch axle positions, you "re-zero" the axle position
against the physical limiter at A.  Thus, any errors of motor position
do not accumulate; the only error is whatever builds up in rotating from
A to B or C, once.  The tolerances on the motor and on the positioning
of B and C are probably good enough for this to work.

In this way, you don't need any sensor inputs at all to accomplish this.