 Robotics / 3720
Re: rotation sensors and input limitations
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 12 Feb 1999 22:24:07 GMT

On Fri, 12 Feb 1999, Bryan Beatty wrote:

...Basically, you take advantage of the slipping belt so that every time
you need to switch axle positions, you "re-zero" the axle position
against the physical limiter at A.  Thus, any errors of motor position
do not accumulate; the only error is whatever builds up in rotating from
A to B or C, once.  The tolerances on the motor and on the positioning
of B and C are probably good enough for this to work.

Another possible error is slippage of the belt (aside from when you want
it to slip at end-of-travel).  I haven't played with belts & pulleys much
because when I did at first I found slippage to be a problem.  Am I missing
something or are you saying it is a reasonable tradeoff for not using a
sensor input?

For my particular application, this won't work since your approach
requires the shifting mechanism to turn both directions and I only have
"half" a motor available for shifting.  However, if the belt slippage
isn't a problem (or what you are moving doesn't have much of a load) I can
see other applications where the sensor input is more important than half
a motor output.

John A. Tamplin Traveller Information Services
jat@Traveller.COM 2104 West Ferry Way
256/705-7007 - FAX 256/705-7100 Huntsville, AL 35801