 Robotics / 370
Re: Subtasks quitting before completing
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Mon, 9 Nov 1998 21:19:53 GMT

Lageson, Tom wrote:

If my robot triggers a touch sensor and before it completes all of the
commands in that group of commands that same touch sensor is hit again, the
RCX gets confused and starts doing some unplanned and unexpected movements,
never regaining its original program state.  How can I program to accomodate
this event?  Also what happens if the RCX sends conflicting signals to the
motors, how do you know which event or subtask has precedence?

This weekend I built a 4x4 rover with two front bumper sensors. I was faced
with the problem
of both sensors triggering at the same time. My fix was to set the counter to 1
and add a
stack controller to check the counter before turning the rover.

This worked except that I had a deadlock condition. I tracked it down to a
sensor triggering
for too short a period of time and the sensor commands not finishing. The fix
was this:

Release:
Add Counter
Check Counter = 1
On True: Reset Counter, Perform Manover
On False: No Action

Press:
Reset Counter (vital to avoid the deadlock)

The worst thing that can happen now is a right turn command overriding a left
and vis versa.
Not a problem.

After several hours of testing there are no funny states and the rover never
hangs.

--- Nancy