 Robotics / 3659
RE: Mindstorms in 1999
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 11 Feb 1999 10:52:24 GMT

On Thu, 11 Feb 1999, Paul Curtis wrote:

[Paul Curtis]  In the 1999 UK catalogue, where Mindstorms is
already available, there is no mention.  Only Cybermaster.  I've been to
a number of places which sell Mindstorms, and they still have units on
shelves.  I think I must be the only person to pick up a Mindstorms kit
from PC World -- they had about 40 units in my local store before
Christmas, and they have about the same now.  Hopefully, they'll reduce
the price of it so that they can shift the boxes, at which time I'll
purchase another two.

If they do reduce the price, do please tell the list (a second RIS would
make an ideal expansion set!) - although I think it's unlikely in the near
future; they've only just received their expansion sets.

Also, Maplin have got Mindstorms now too - and fairly recently too, I
think - which gives the impression that Lego UK are going to continue
marketing RIS for some time yet. (If anyone happens to live near a Maplin
shop, it may be worth asking them whether they would consider stocking
"spares", ie sensors and motors...?)

One possible reason why RIS isn't in the catalogue is simply the price of
the set - most toy retailers (apart from ToysRUs and "rich" places like
Hamleys) don't stock things that expensive. Hence the distribution in PC
World and Maplin - electronics shops rather than toy shops - where 160
pounds is a relatively cheap item to stock.

Note that this keeps Cybermaster and Mindstorms in fairly separate markets
- nicely avoiding the self-competition problem described earlier in this
thread :-)

Stuart