 Robotics / 3576
Re: O'Reilly Mindstorms book [was RE: Memory]
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 9 Feb 1999 05:48:48 GMT

At 05:17 AM 2/9/99 GMT, Todd Lehman wrote:
[...]
Man, this is too cool.  IMO, ORA is the world leader in high-quality geek
books, but I never would have guessed they would publish a book on LEGO MS.

Ha ha! Me neither, and I work for them.

How did it all come about?  I guess the bottom line is that ORA in business
to sell special-interest geek books, but this is still almost too cool to
believe.  :-)

That was exactly my feeling. I sent some mail to Tim
O'Reilly a long time ago when I started reading articles
about Mindstorms. I thought it would be cool to
do a book, and that the people that would buy
Mindstorms were the same kind of people that
read O'Reilly books. A few months later, he finally got
back to me, interested in doing the book. He (and others
at O'Reilly) feel that a Mindstorms book could be
quite successful. One of the reasons they feel this
way is because of the thriving community of users
(that's all of you!). Mindstorms has a fanatical,
cultish following like other successful platforms, e.g.
PalmPilot or Linux.

Personally, this book fulfills a lifelong dream of getting
paid to play with Legos. Professionally, I'm also
starting to believe that sales could be pretty good.

Jonathan