 Robotics / 3570
3569  |  3571
Subject:
O'Reilly Mindstorms book [was RE: Memory]
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 9 Feb 1999 02:18:49 GMT

At 11:12 AM 2/9/99 +1300, you wrote:
[whimsical discussion of O'Reilly animals and
marketing professionals snipped]

ObLego: When is this book due to come out? what's in it? The Mindstorms
software? NQC? custom Firmware? Is it all software or does it look at
construction as well?

We don't have a schedule yet; I'm only about
two chapters into it so far. Please don't ask our
customer service people about it--they will
get annoyed with me. The book is designed
to tell you how to max out your RIS kit--basically
it picks up where Lego's documentation leaves off.
I'll talk about NQC, for sure, and making your own
sensors, how to find Pitsco and S@H, online
resources, nifty mechanical things like directional
transmissions and adder-subtractors. My goal
is to present every cool thing you could possibly
do with Mindstorms in one book. (It's subtitled
"The Ultimate Guide," like our PalmPilot book.)
I'm still undecided about legOS, but I'm thinking
about having a chapter on it. I'm structuring the
book around actual robots that you can build, so
I will cover both mechanical design and software.

I'd be glad to hear any suggestions. I'm still in the early
stages so you can influence the content if you wish.

If I'm offending anyone by discussing my own book
on this list, let me know and I'll restrict the talk to
private emails.

Thanks,
Jonathan