 Robotics / 3489
Re: Turrets for Robowars
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 5 Feb 1999 22:20:08 GMT

Chris Magno wrote:

then I became obsessed with an "aimer" which I am working on now.  its
big and crude and bulky.  but it works. it needs 3 motors, and can zero
itself with the 2 rotation sensors.

I thought of a really cool application for a Solarvane... using two light
sensors, and building a sort of shade like so:

   ---++---
    ^^||^^
    LS||LS
  ----++----

What happens is, if the turret is aimed directly at a light source, both light
sensors are in shade and the motors switch off.  When one light sensor picks up
a light over a certain threshold, the motor will rotate the turret in that
direction.

This would be interesting if you could tune it so that it could pick up pulses
from the IR collision detection system of another robot.  You could time the
pulses so that it would not track on its own navigation pulses.  Hmmm, three
sensors per robot... one light sensor to steer, and two to aim the turret...
Hmmm, problem: only three motors.  Two for drive/steering, still need one to
turn the turret and one to fire.  Any ideas?

--Karim