 Robotics / 3426
Re: Pneumatic 6 legged walker
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 3 Feb 1999 19:51:40 GMT

Yes, several people have made the same comment regarding the avi. It was an
avi when I made it, but then it was over 4.5 Mb. Even with intell
compression it was stil 1.7 Mb. and I only have 5Mb for my entire website
available. So I compressed it with a special program that came with my
webcam that turns it into an exe with viewer built in.

I've juist mailed the intel compressed avi to Alex Wetmore who is
considering putting it up on his website so all non-windows users can view
it too. I hope that Linux allows intel compressed avi's....

Do you have pictures of your pneumatic walker? Is it strong enough to carry
a Cybermaster unit?

CU  Bert

Visit my site on Lego, Robot's and Visual Basic at
http://home.concepts.nl/~bvandam/index.html

-----Oorspronkelijk bericht-----
Van: Fredrik Glöckner <fredrik.glockner@bio.uio.no>
Aan: lego-robotics@crynwr.com <lego-robotics@crynwr.com>
Datum: woensdag 3 februari 1999 8:47
Onderwerp: Re: Pneumatic 6 legged walker

lego-robotics@crynwr.com (B van Dam) writes:

For those of you interested in pneumatics I've finally completed a
pneumatic 6 legged walker.

The idea to use feedback loops to make walkers is a good one.  I've made
a similar 6-legged walker using only three large cylinders and three
valves.  This uses a triple-gait-cycle mechanism, meaning that one
cylinder moves the left legs back and forth, one cylinder moves the
right legs back and forth, and the last moves the centre legs up/down.

Of course, you need a three phase feedback loop in this case, unlike the
model you made, which has only two phases.

1 3 1
\| | |
#####-
/| | |
2 3 2

1: right legs
2: left legs
3: centre legs

Compare with a CyberMaster based hexapod for more description of how the
triple-gait-cycle works:

   http://www.math.uio.no/~fredrigl/technic/cm-hexapod/

Unfortunately, this page is down right now, but hopefully it should be
up again in a few hours.

Included on the page is a small .avi so you can see it walk.

If it is an .avi, why does it have a .exe suffix?  If it _was_ an .avi,
I could have played it on my Linux system, but the .exe I cannot use.

Fredrik