 Robotics / 3318
Re: Variations on the "ADDER SUBTRACTOR" ("differtrans" ?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 29 Jan 1999 03:52:31 GMT

Today, I played around with my dad's design on the differtrans thats
featured on my site ( http://geocities.com/SouthBeach/surf/6112/ ). He
managed to put the motors (almost) directly on top of the smaller geared
side of each differential. Its the most compact design we have made so far
that does not put the motors on the side. The only problem was that this
causes stress on the motors to lift straight up. We quickly solved this with
some braces that hold the motors to the frame. The braces are under a bit of
stress but nothing the legos can't handle. This design would be almost ideal
except that there is no place for the RCX. We will probably end up dropping
it into a larger robot as a gear box of sorts that is totally enclosed and
very sturdy. I will put some pics up on my site for anyone who would like to
view it, give suggestions, or build it themselves.

--
SeeYa !
------------

Alex Wetmore wrote in message
<031b01be4b05$3bdf6b50$01fa3b9d@awetmore-dev.dns.microsoft.com>...

When presenting sizes I think it would be most useful if the motors were
also included.  The motors placement is a key part of the design and makes
the layout pretty tricky.

Of the two layouts on my webpage (http://www.phred.org/~alex/lego/plat.html
vs http://www.phred.org/~alex/lego/wanderer.html) the plat layout robot is
much smaller, but the layout is much less efficient.  wanderer is a larger
but stronger and faster robot.  The version of plat shown on my webpage • also
tends to fall apart if run for a long time, where wanderer is very strong.

alex