 Robotics / 3319
Re: New Page
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 29 Jan 1999 04:26:19 GMT

On Thu, 28 Jan 1999, Sam Edwards wrote:

I have a new mindstorms page up at http://members.home.com/sam.is
please take a look at it and tell me what you think.

Normally I don't criticise other's web pages, but this time I'll make
an exception.  My first impression:  The page looks great, but none of
it belongs to Sam Edwards.  Clearly all the graphics and layout is from
Lego's official page.  You should probably read the info at

http://www.lego.com/info/fair.asp

before you start snarfing their pages and calling them your own.

Second problem:  You've made a start at presenting a robot of your own
design (which I look forward to seeing, btw) but you've gone off
half-cocked and announced the page before the photos are developed.  I
know it's tempting, but announcing an empty page usually has the "boy who
cried wolf" effect when you announce the real photos later.

Third (and perhaps most offensive) problem:  The "Downloads" section.
Here you've got copies of mindcontrol.zip and botcode.zip.  No names of
the authors or hyperlinks to the sites where you downloaded those
programs, in fact not even an indication of what version of those programs
you've got.  Does this service offer anything more than the authors'
pages?  No.  Did you ask the authors' permission to mirror their
distributions?  I doubt it.  If you want to encourage people to use those
packages, and give descriptions of them, that's great.  But the
appropriate way to do this is to link to the sites where you found them.

My advice to you:  Take down the site, delete all the graphics and the
copied programs, and wait until your photos get developed.  Then put
together a really cool page entirely of your own, that presents the robot
that you built.  It doesn't matter if your graphics don't look as perfect
as Lego's official site - they have tons of money and professional artists
and designers for this stuff.  I think everyone on this list would enjoy
seeing what you've built and what ideas you have.  Lego is all about
creativity, and nobody will see what you've created if it's hidden by a
bunch of stuff that everyone has already seen on the pages where it
belongs.

We all look forward to seeing what YOU can build.  :)

- Ben.

Ben Williamson       benw@pobox.com     http://www.pobox.com/~benw/