 Robotics / 3213
Re: Using motors without a power source.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Mon, 25 Jan 1999 22:35:39 GMT

If I understand what you are doing then:

Think about the efficiency (or actually lack of ) in using this method. Just
how inefficient are the Lego motors? as generators? Put a load on those
motors and see if they still turn.

Drive all the motors from the RCX or other power source. There is no point
in using two motors as a motor/generator.

Joel

Denny Hyde wrote in message ...
In this case one motor is being used as a generator and the other as
a motor, correct?  You aren't powering both motors.
That's correct.

also more accurate.  What benefit did you see using the two-motor
system?
The main benefit is that I was able to use any design I wanted without • being
restricted on how and where to place the axels. I could run the wire in any
manner I needed.

snip

It seems to me that Lego purposely engineered this feature into their • motors.
I've just never seen any documentation on how this could be used in Lego. I
would have never thought of it had it not been a chance thing. I have never
considered using motors without a power source but this has definitely • changed
my thinking.

Denny