 Robotics / 3214
3213  |  3215
Subject:
Evil Apllication of IR Port :>
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Mon, 25 Jan 1999 22:41:21 GMT

I found while playing with the IR Radar that you can:
Jam IR circuits on ANY IR controlled device. You can't use any remotes or
anything, the logic circuits are busy interpreting the signal you are
sending. This works on the same principal as the TV Remotes.

TV Remotes send digital data by sending signals such as below:
     ___         ___
     |       |       |       |
__|        |___|       |__
This is a square wave, which the Message 0 represents, this keeps the TV
circuits busy. Now to control different parts, there may be larger or
smaller distances before and after the peaks. By sending a square wave, you
confuse the TV, because only about 5% of TVs use the square wave (exactly
same distance between peaks and canyons), they use variations. The victim's
signals also mix with your squarewave to confuse it even more. This works on
TV, VCR, CD and many others, those are the one's I've tested on.

here is the program:

//Begin NQC Program

/*
title:    Remote Control Jammer
author:   Ickna
date:     1-25-99
sensors:  1 touch connected to input 1
motors:   none
notes:    Sends a constant squarewave pattern while the touch sensor is
pressed,
          which jams the IR decoder on IR controlled equipment
*/

task main
{
while (true)