 Robotics / 3195
    Using motors without a power source. —Denny Hyde
   I'm new to this group so I don't know if this idea has been mentioned but here it is: First, I connect the two motors in the MindStorms kit together with a wire and nothing else. Below is a crude ASCII art representation: ***...*** ***...*** * * (...) (25 years ago, 25-Jan-99, to lugnet.robotics)

        Re: Using motors without a power source. —Alex Wetmore
   (...) In this case one motor is being used as a generator and the other as a motor, correct? You aren't powering both motors. I think its neat, but don't understand the use of it in the context of 4wd. The differential is much smaller then two (...) (25 years ago, 25-Jan-99, to lugnet.robotics)

        Re: Using motors without a power source. —Denny Hyde
   (...) That's correct. (...) The main benefit is that I was able to use any design I wanted without being restricted on how and where to place the axels. I could run the wire in any manner I needed. (...) I'm not using any power source at all. (...) (25 years ago, 25-Jan-99, to lugnet.robotics)

        Re: Using motors without a power source. —Joel Kunze
     If I understand what you are doing then: Think about the efficiency (or actually lack of ) in using this method. Just how inefficient are the Lego motors? as generators? Put a load on those motors and see if they still turn. Drive all the motors (...) (25 years ago, 25-Jan-99, to lugnet.robotics)

        Re: Using motors without a power source. —Jeff Jackowski
   (...) That makes perfect sense. If you turn any electromagnetic motor, it will produce an electric current. I think this is the basic principle that hydroelectric power plants use. Even old Lego motors do this (I tried when I was a kid with many (...) (25 years ago, 26-Jan-99, to lugnet.robotics)