 Robotics / 3178
Re: AC Adapter Specs?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Mon, 25 Jan 1999 05:41:47 GMT

I hooked up my amp meter to the lego motors that come with the Mindstorm and they
were drawing <= 100 ma.  If my readings were correct I would think any 9-12V
transformer that is greater than 300ma would work with the Mindstorm.  It is not
the current rating that is really important as long as the transformer will
provide at least the maximum current required by the device.  Another words if you
have a typical wall transformer it does not matter if it has 500ma rating or a
1000ma rating as long as you have the proper voltage.  If you buy a new one from
the store I would buy a higher current(ma) out transformer.  That's my two cents
worth.

Also on the controlling the motor speed.  The RCX uses pulse width modulation to
control the motor.  When the power is set to 1 the Power will be 8 volts for 1ms
and off for 7ms; Power 2 = 2ms On 6ms off, ... , Power 7 = 7ms On 1ms off, Power 8
Always On.

Ben Erwin wrote:

The LEGO "toy transformer" outputs "12VAC   7VA"

-Ben

Michael Gasperi wrote:

Rich Thompson wrote in message ...
To make things things simpler, you can purchase an adapter at Pitsco Lego
Dacta:

Please, somebody do this and tell the rest of us what the adapter really is!

BTW: I use a 9VAC 500ma wall wart from an old modem.  Seems to work OK.

David Sprenkle