 Robotics / 3152
  Ball gear

I got a ball gear with some set the other day, and it seemed like a useful part. On the set it is just a decorative "knob" thing, but i should believe it is useful for something beyond that. I cant get it to mesh properly with ordinary gears. Any (...) (25 years ago, 24-Jan-99, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Ball gear

If it is the one I am thinking of it does not mesh well with any of the other standard gears. This part is meant to be placed in the middle of a ring with 4 ball joints sticking off the outside edge. It is used to adjust a helicopter cyclic in the (...) (25 years ago, 24-Jan-99, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Ball gear

(...) The "ball gear" part is used to transfer rotation momentum to a tilted axle. In the 8880 Supercar (URL) is used to make steering wheel drive. (Actually, it has 4 wheel drive, steer and suspension.) It is also used to make a tilting helicopter (...) (25 years ago, 24-Jan-99, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Ball gear

This piece is essential to a CV-joint. The 8880 utilizes this in the joints that connect the wheels with the drive train. In real life, a mechanism, not unlike this, makes possible rear-independent suspension (on vehicles with rear-wheel drive), (...) (25 years ago, 27-Jan-99, to lugnet.robotics)