 Robotics / 3040
Re: Help! Can't talk to IR Tower with Mac w/nqcc!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 21 Jan 1999 04:35:46 GMT

Success!!
On the advice of Ben Kimball I started looking for an extension that might be
competing for the serial port. My system is also used for MIDI and I found the
MIDI Manager extension. I disabled it and rebooted and found that I could now
talk to the device. I did not expect the extension to have an impact since I
was not using MIDI at the time, but since it is an old extension it may
have some problems with it.

The bad news is that I have an OrangeMicro 620 in my Mac and Mindstorms doesn't
work it that environment either, most likely due to the RTS/CTS problem. I
sent a query about supporting RTS and CTS through hsko/hski to their "24 hour
turnaround online support" about 3 days ago, but haven't heard from them since.

The good news is that I can use NQCC!

How do I get more information about the syntax for NQCC  (for example, how do I
save values and upload them to the mac)?

Thanks for a great tool, Dave, and thanks for responding to my email.

Dave Baum writes:
In article <F5u6D9.n37@lugnet.com>, "Rob Cairns" <robkc@home.com> wrote:

I created a cable (actually its a bunch of cables strung together) and
confirmed the wiring.
I (ultimately) have the following:

  Mac         IR
  (Male
  connector)
  1           7
  2           8
  3           2
  4           5
  5           3
  6           NC
  7           NC
  8           5

That wiring looks fine, provided that "IR" is a DB-9 female that connects
directly to the IR device.  If you use the IR cable supplied by lego, then
you'll need to swap pins 2 and 3.

Mac pins 1 and 2 (RS-232 pins 7 and 8) are not required at all.

I get this message:

              Problem talking to IR device

This message is displayed if the Mac doesn't receive an echo from the IR
device.  In most cases this is a problem with the Mac-IR wiring.  If you
have a terminal program, you can try checking the echo yourself.  Start
the terminal program and set it for 2400 baud, odd parity, 1 stop bit, 8
data bits, local echo off.  If you disconnect the IR tower you should see
nothing on screen as you type.  Now connect the IR tower and type some
keys - if the cable is ok, you should see the keys echoed on screen.  If
you see garbage, try switching the distance switch on the IR device from
near to far, or vice versa.

If you get the echo, but nqcc still can't download, then there's some
problem communicating with the RCX.   If this is the case, try doing
this...

nqcc -v -d test.nqc

(assuming you have a file called test.nqc) and send me the output - that
should help with debugging the problem.

Dave

--
reply to: dbaum at enteract dot com