 Robotics / 2999
2998  |  3000
Special:
[DAT] (requires LDraw-compatible viewer)
Subject:
Help! Can't talk to IR Tower with Mac w/nqcc!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 20 Jan 1999 02:17:33 GMT

I bought Mindstorms and downloaded nqcc to talk to the RCX, but I can't seem to
get connected.

I created a cable (actually its a bunch of cables strung together) and
confirmed the wiring.
I (ultimately) have the following:

   Mac         IR
   (Male
   connector)
   1           7
   2           8
   3           2
   4           5
   5           3
   6           NC
   7           NC
   8           5

I am trying to download the RCX firmware into the brick but every time I run
it:

i.e.
               rcxfirm FIRM0309.LGO

I get this message:

               Problem talking to IR device

I get the green led to turn on in the IR Tower , and it stays lit for about
3-4 seconds after the message is displayed.

I checked out the IR tower with a PC and Mindstorms and proved that it
worked OK.

Frankly I can't think of anything else to do.

Also, if anybody knows another way of talking to the IR tower to test
it I would like to know.

Finally, does anybody know all the conditions that could exist that would cause
this message to be sent?

   many thanks in advance,

      rob cairns