 Robotics / 304
303  |  305
Subject:
Building gcc
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 6 Nov 1998 20:18:27 GMT

After some agony, I've discovered that the instructions for building a
gcc cross-compiler miss out a vital step (probably because its one of
those things that's so obvious to people who regularly build
cross-compilers that they forget they've done it). So, here's the _real_
recipe ... feel free to update your webpages from it!

1. Build and install binutils (GNU )
1a. ./configure --prefix=/usr/local --target=h8300-hitachi-hms
1b. make (gmake?)
1c. make install
2. Get gcc (GNU)
3. Get crossgcc patch (Cygnus
[ftp://ftp.cygnus.com/pub/embedded/crossgcc/])
4. Apply patch
5. Build gcc
5a. ./configure --prefix=/usr/local --target=h8300-hitachi-hms
5b. make (gmake?) LANGUAGES=c
5c. make install

I haven't bothered to flesh this out, since the only bit that differs
from what I've read is the crossgcc patch and the possible need for
gmake (but that may have been egcs, and anyway if you use Linux you're
already using gmake).

BTW, egcs doesn't build either, but there doesn't seem to be a crossegcs
patch (and besides, crossgcc is done by Cygnus, so WTF?).

Now I can get on with the fun stuff!

Cheers,

Ben.

--
Ben Laurie            |Phone: +44 (181) 735 0686| Apache Group member
Freelance Consultant  |Fax:   +44 (181) 735 0689|http://www.apache.org/