 Robotics / 2987
Re: Synchro drive in Lego
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 19 Jan 1999 17:59:00 GMT

=>From: rajackson@qnx.com
=>...
=>I've not tried this yet but... in the new geared motor sets there is
=>a clutch plate with a Newton marking on the side. Also there is a
=>ratchet design in the Cyber Wars kits. They use a shaft extender that
=>rides on a gear to provide the ratchet effect. This coupled with two
=>of the clutches (which are gears) should do the trick. The problem is
=>there is only one clutch with each motor :-(

I have one of those white clutches, and it seems to be pretty tight.
It's not a centrifugal clutch; I think it's mostly designed to keep
from stalling the motor if the rest of the drive train locks up.  If I
understand your message correctly, it sounds like you want to hook the
clutches up so that in either direction, the motor has to drive one
locked clutch and the other drive train.  I don't think you'll get
much power out that way: the slipping clutch will steal it.

I think you'd be better off with a differential...put ratchets on both
drive axles so that one can turn one way and the other can turn the
other, and drive the main body.  The Lego(r) diff is a little sloppy,
but I think it'll be more efficient than the clutch.

d.