 Robotics / 2819
Fw: IR Port as night/day detector (Was: Re: IR Port as Proximity detector.)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 14 Jan 1999 21:07:52 GMT

Why not just use IR to 'ask' the computer what time it is?

trowton

-----Original Message-----
From: John A. Tamplin <jat@Traveller.COM>
To: Laurentino Martins <lmartins@marktest.pt>
Cc: Lego-Robotics <lego-robotics@crynwr.com>
Date: Thursday, January 14, 1999 3:07 PM
Subject: Re: IR Port as night/day detector (Was: Re: IR Port as Proximity
detector.)

On Thu, 14 Jan 1999, Laurentino Martins wrote:

At 18:35 14-01-1999 Thursday , John A. Tamplin wrote:
On Thu, 14 Jan 1999, Laurentino Martins wrote:

I though the RCX had a internal clock.
I don't have a RCX so I can not tell. The CyberMaster doesn't.

Not a time of day clock, but you have the materials to do your own once • you
tell it what time it is.  This would probably require you to use • something
like legOS.

How's that?
The SDK has the function SetWatch( Hours, Min ).
Also, in page 47 (printed page 45) we can read in the table that the • source 14-0 : "RCX. Watch. Integer where MSB=hours and LSB=minutes"

If this isn't a time of day clock, tell me what it is...

The RCX hardware does not have a time of day clock.  I haven't fooled with
the standard RCX bytecode interpreter, so I wasn't aware that it
implemented one in software, but it is doing just what I said you could do
-- you get the initial time/date and then you keep it up to date by
counting regularly scheduled interrupts.

John A. Tamplin Traveller Information Services
jat@Traveller.COM 2104 West Ferry Way
256/705-7007 - FAX 256/705-7100 Huntsville, AL 35801