 Robotics / 27542
27541  |  27543
Subject:
Hmmm... WeDo
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Sat, 16 Aug 2008 23:58:40 GMT

Today a catalog from Lego Educaton turned up in the snail mail.  As I was
flipping through it I saw the "WeDo" system advertised in it.  OK, so I guess
people who religiously follow Lego press releases would have known about WeDo
two weeks ago.... so I guess I am slow.  Be that as it may....

It appears to have a "USB Hub" brick that connects to a USB port, and provides
what looks like two standard "new 9V motor system" connectors.  The picture
shows a 9V 'M' motor connected to the brick.  Googling for information, I turned
up a press release that talks about tilt and motion sensors that can plugged
into the same port.  All of it talks to LabView. Hmmm....

So now I am wondering.... what are the possibilities here? Unless they went out
of their way to b0rk the USB driver, you should be able to plug about a zillion
of these into a snarl of USB hubs and talk to all the motors from the computer.
And what about other sensors?  Might a NXT to 9V converter cable hook up a
regular NXT sensor?  Now, I can imagine issues, USB devices are only allowed to
draw 500mA after enumeration if they follow the USB spec, so I could easily see
some kind of ultimate limiation on the number of motors you could run
simultaneously.  But with a powered USB hub.... hmmm....

One thing I can imagine doing with it is having computerized remote control of
all the turnouts on a train layout.

Anyway, lot's of things to speculate about until Jan 2009 when it is supposed to
be available.