 Robotics / 27507
Re: ONLINE LEGO NXT INTERFACING WORKSHOP
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 18 Jul 2008 23:37:54 GMT

In lugnet.events.brickworld, Don Wilcher wrote:

Some projects I plan are using the NXT and Legacy sensors for
object detection and measurements as well as how to control non NXT
Servo Motors, HI Bright LEDs, radios, interfacing RF devices,
and communicating with other microcontroller platforms (Handy
Cricket, BASIC Stamp) using transistor relay drivers and power
transistors.

Well, if you can figure out how to drive DCC chips embedded in trains, a lot of
folks would be happy. Controlling crossing gates, detecting trains and moving
cow heads, automated switching, decouplers, dumpers, etc... & a lot of that can
be done with things like servos. The potential is out there. But I suspect what
you need to do is develop the applications, float them around to see what
interests folks. A lot of train folks have looked at the GBC trains with
confusion and a little surprise, which isn't what we expected. It that
cross-fertilization that takes some work.

Also, what cost would serve this group as well
as NXT community as a whole?

Well... I've no idea. I was a little surprised by the $90 figure, as the only
material thing you mentioned was an unspecified manual, and as far as timed
sessions we give them away free at events like Brickfair & Brickworld (well,
"free" with full admission), so it's a bit hard to estimate.

--
Brian Davis