 Robotics / 2745
Re: Fw: Jump Frog Jump!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 13 Jan 1999 20:34:01 GMT

At 01:43 PM 1/13/99 -0600, Tom wrote:

Actually, the landing _is_ trivial, as frogs often 'miff' the landing. I can
almost guarantee you won't land right all the time, probably not even 85%.

The trick will be to have a contingency mechanism to 'recover' from a
botched landing, returning to the starting 'stance' - and maybe even saying,
'I meant to do that!'

Miffing the landing is putting it mildly. Frogs generally don't even try to
catch themselves when they are landing. They kick, Spread their limbs and
belly flop.

You could create a structure that could absorb this type of impact, but I'm
guessing that the RCX wouldn't be to happy about it. Since the RCX is
probably going to be the heaviest element in the construct, you need to
place it near the bottom and probably centered. This means it's in right in
the strike zone (so to speak).

You may want to do something a tad less nasty and create a "hopper" based
on a Kangaroo model. This has the RCX elevated on two spring legs. Of
course the challenge in a model like this is going to be maintaining
balance, but it beats the heck out of beating the heck out of your RCX.

Aloha,
JR
JR Conlin                  jrconlin@email.com
jrconlin@earthlink.net