 Robotics / 2744
Re: Synchro drive in Lego
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 13 Jan 1999 22:26:06 GMT

Previously, you (Peter Hesketh) wrote:
In article <369CD0FF.700F5D9E@augustschell.com>, Paul Speed
<pspeed@augustschell.com> writes
My take on it,
[comprehensive description of synchro drive snipped]

How long has synchro drive meant that?  What I call a synchro is a
master-slave single rotary positioning system using a balanced 3-wire
link between (identical) master and slave devices.

Or a mechanism which keeps the gears on a intermediate  shaft  running
so as  to  allow  the  gears  to mesh when shifting. A faq of the LEGO
robotic terms might help clear some of these terms up ;-)

One of the problems encountered with most of our LEGO designs  it  the
trade off between power, speed and accuracy. Using mode than one motor
to  provide  power  to  individual  wheels  can  lead to the robot not
following a straight path. Where as one motor may not have  the  power
to supply all of the motive force for the robot.

I'm toying with a design which would allow slaving more than one motor
off a output and additionally providing power from a seperate  battery
pack. My current design would require an external circuit to drive the
motors so it's not a solution that could be applied by everone.