 Robotics / 2732
Fw: Jump Frog Jump!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 13 Jan 1999 19:43:04 GMT

Actually, the landing _is_ trivial, as frogs often 'miff' the landing. I can
almost guarantee you won't land right all the time, probably not even 85%.

The trick will be to have a contingency mechanism to 'recover' from a
botched landing, returning to the starting 'stance' - and maybe even saying,
'I meant to do that!'

Seriously, I wouldn't beat your head against the landing wall if you reach a
point that seems to be the limit...just implement a recovery mechanism so
that the bot checks to see if it landed correctly - or rather, if it is
'upright' - and if not, adjust it's position to be 'upright'.

A little 'error' trapping and tolerance can save you a lot of non-productive
work.

trowt
-----Original Message-----
From: Tim McSweeney <tim@ams.co.nz>
To: lego-robotics@crynwr.com <lego-robotics@crynwr.com>
Date: Wednesday, January 13, 1999 1:35 PM
Subject: Re: Jump Frog Jump!

I am building a frog using Lego Mindstorms. But there is one
problem, I cannot
figure out how to make it jump.

If you have any ideas to help me make it jump, please come forward.

Ok I'll bite :)

How about using the  Elastic that comes with the technic rubber band racers?
Use a motor to 'slowly' stretch the elastic and when you are ready to jump
trip some sort of trigger that releases the elastic in one hit, driving your
frog forward.  Of course just how you implement all this is the easy bit.
Getting your frog to land again(1) could be hard :)

Cheers
Tim
(1) Safely, Ladning in general is a trivial problem.