 Robotics / 27444
Re: Voyager... GPS guided autonomous outdoor LEGO robot
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 29 Apr 2008 20:52:15 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, Rob Hendrix wrote:

So does the GPS talk directly to the NXT?
What's the accuracy?

Yes, the GPS communicated directly to the NXT via bluetooth.  I can't remember
who it was that figured out how to do this, after most of us thought it was
impossible, but it does work.

It's difficult to quantify the accuracy.  I have it set that when it gets within
50" of the waypoints, to count that as arriving, and increment to the next
waypoint.  That worked out pretty well, it never overshot or undershot a
waypoint ( I ran it several times).  The big thing with these little receivers
regarding their accuracy is from hour to hour or day to day.  I am sure that if
I went outside today (I filmed the video yesterday), the same values that took
me to the waypoints yesterday may not be very close to the same exact locations
today.

The specs on the GPS I'm using right now as it is set up is 5m.  Obviously using
it the way I am right now (record waypoints, immediately turn around & navigate
to the waypoints) allows me to do better than that.  I was also outside in a
wide open area... the little ones are especially vulnerable to trees, building,
powerlines, etc. interfereing with GPS reception.

Great work and a nifty bot!!

Thanks!

John