 Robotics / 27443
Re: Voyager... GPS guided autonomous outdoor LEGO robot
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 29 Apr 2008 15:15:36 GMT

"John Brost" <john.brost@gmail.com> wrote in message
A while ago I watched as Steve Hassenplug started building and testing an
outdoor GPS guided LEGO robot to compete in a RoboMagellan contest he
called the
Green Monster.  It was great fun watching it drive outdoors.  After some
gentle
prodding, I decided to give it a shot for myself.  Voyager is the result.
Here's the NXTLOG page about it:

http://mindstorms.lego.com/nxtlog/ProjectDisplay.aspx?id=0084709f-625a-4816-aabb-98291610c18b

I recently managed to rid it of its R/C leash and go fully autonomous
using
RobotC and a BT GPS receiver.  Here's a video of it driving a course I
defined
with flags.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhhpetNNnMw

The GPS locations of the waypoints are defined prior to the run and
recorded to
a file.  The navigation program then reads this file and navigates to the
points
using real-time GPS readings to adjust its course.  It also uses an
on-board
HiTechnic compass sensor for navigation.  Once Voyager gets within 50"
(defined
in the program) of the target waypoint, it automatically increments to the
next
waypoint in the sequence.  After the last waypoint, it automatically
returns
home to the first waypoint.  It can record & follow up to 20 waypoints
including
the starting waypoint.

John

So does the GPS talk directly to the NXT?
What's the accuracy?

Great work and a nifty bot!!

-Rob
www.lifelites.com