 Robotics / 27440
27439  |  27441
Subject:
Voyager... GPS guided autonomous outdoor LEGO robot
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 29 Apr 2008 13:00:33 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

A while ago I watched as Steve Hassenplug started building and testing an
outdoor GPS guided LEGO robot to compete in a RoboMagellan contest he called the
Green Monster.  It was great fun watching it drive outdoors.  After some gentle
prodding, I decided to give it a shot for myself.  Voyager is the result.
Here's the NXTLOG page about it:

http://mindstorms.lego.com/nxtlog/ProjectDisplay.aspx?id=0084709f-625a-4816-aabb-98291610c18b

I recently managed to rid it of its R/C leash and go fully autonomous using
RobotC and a BT GPS receiver.  Here's a video of it driving a course I defined
with flags.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhhpetNNnMw

The GPS locations of the waypoints are defined prior to the run and recorded to
a file.  The navigation program then reads this file and navigates to the points
using real-time GPS readings to adjust its course.  It also uses an on-board
HiTechnic compass sensor for navigation.  Once Voyager gets within 50" (defined
in the program) of the target waypoint, it automatically increments to the next
waypoint in the sequence.  After the last waypoint, it automatically returns
home to the first waypoint.  It can record & follow up to 20 waypoints including
the starting waypoint.

John