 Robotics / 27275
27274  |  27276
Subject:
Datalogging with the NXT
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 31 Oct 2007 03:20:34 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

   OK, I've got to admit that this isn't exactly "robotics". In fact, it must be
about the smallest "robot" I've ever made, in that it was really just the NXT
and a single sensor, with a few 3L pins and a studless beam to secure the
sensor. But the results were very cool (at least to me). The plot:

1) Schedule a family trip to Disneyworld
2) *Without Telling Your Loving Spouse*, bring the NXT into
   the park with you. When said spouse questions your sanity
   and the depths of your obsession, claim you forgot you had
   it with you. After all, the whole thing will fit in your
   pocket...
3) At ever possible chance you get, datalog the accelerations
   experienced on every thrill ride you can get in, plotting
   them up later to see what they "really" look like. If
   neccessary, draft young sons to acquire data from rides you
   don't get a chance to do.
4) Bring a plastic ziploc so you can log on water rides. The only
   thing more fun than risking your $200 datalogger on an 80' fall
   is risking it on an 80' fall into water.
5) Every night, go back to the hotel room to download the data
   to the laptop that you *claim* to have brought down to save
   the precious family digital photos to.

In execution, everything worked pretty well. Although there were a couple of
bugs in the program, I got the data. In my Brickshelf account are a series of
graphs showing the acceleration on Mission Space, Space Mt, Big Thunder Mt,
Expedition Everest, and others:

Deeplinks 'till moderation:
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/brdavis/NXT/Datalogging/everest.png
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/brdavis/NXT/Datalogging/missionspace.png

I popped up a short blog entry about it that shows me holding the NXT (well,
sort of). I wish we could have popped over the Disney MGM to log Rockin
Rollercoaster and Tower of Terror, but it wasn't in the cards... this time. Next
time, maybe.

http://thenxtstep.blogspot.com/

My question is, has anybody else done this? Is anyone else thinking of doing it?
I'd love to see some more data like this, but I can't run off to a major theme
park every weekend. Surely some coaster enthusiast has done this sort of thing
before, but I've found no links to it. Anyone?

--
Brian Davis