 Robotics / 27238
  Re: Serenity, an autonomous NXT-based boat

(...) Those are a good all-LEGO solution... but they tend to splash. A lot. This isn't fatal, but means either "splash shielding" the electronics (which requires more weight), or making the entire robot bigger (so the splashing wheels aren't close (...) (17 years ago, 13-Sep-07, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Serenity, an autonomous NXT-based boat

(...) Airboat! (17 years ago, 13-Sep-07, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Serenity, an autonomous NXT-based boat

(...) Good idea, and I should have added that to the list. But a high-thrust LEGO air propeller or fan seems to be even tougher to make than a water propeller. There's been a lot of discussion in the past about LEGO hovercraft, but it's rather hard (...) (17 years ago, 14-Sep-07, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Serenity, an autonomous NXT-based boat

(...) Airboat? Though I don't know if you could drive a large enough prop fast enough to move you... -Rob A> (17 years ago, 14-Sep-07, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Serenity, an autonomous NXT-based boat

OK - Since you beat me to that one how about magnetohydrodynamic propulsion (thought that might be hard with stock Lego :) Or more realistically, how about counter-rotating screw drives, like this one: (URL) be able to make something like it by (...) (17 years ago, 14-Sep-07, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Serenity, an autonomous NXT-based boat

Zitat von Brian Davis <brdavis@iusb.edu>: (...) Sails. The motors used to trim them according to the direction and strength of the wind. ---...--- This message was sent using IMP, the Internet Messaging Program. (17 years ago, 14-Sep-07, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Serenity, an autonomous NXT-based boat

(...) Oars! (17 years ago, 15-Sep-07, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Serenity, an autonomous NXT-based boat

(...) Oars are nothing but highly asymmetric paddle wheels. Yes, I know, that's a bit simplified, but still splashes a lot unless you have the high amount of control over force curves, blade angle, etc. that an experienced rower has. Just check out (...) (17 years ago, 15-Sep-07, to lugnet.robotics)