 Robotics / 27132
Re: Ultimate ROBOLAB for PICs
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 31 May 2007 16:06:05 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, Rob Hendrix wrote:

...snip
Exciting stuff!  A friend and I have been using the PICKit2 recently for a
range of chips including 12f's and 16f's.  So far my personal favorite has
been the 16f688 and we'll be releasing some cool stuff for people to play
with very soon based on this architecture.  We've been programming entirely
in C and converting that over to asm and hex.   I'm interested to see what
PICLab has to offer.

-Rob

Perhaps I'll answer with a short list of projects that we have realized so far:

1.The most complicated thing I've done with Ultimate_PIC -I have to familiarize
with that name now- using the 16F628A is a bi-directional half-duplex interface
to connect a Siemens T100 TTY (50baud) to a normal PC RS232 (9600 baud with
hand-shaking). The program manages 2 input-buffers and 2 output buffers,
converts ASCII to 5-bit Baudot code and vice-versa; it surveys the TTY FIGS/LTRS
status. The program is set up as a state-machine. Most of it works as interrupt
handlers. The translation lists are stored as look-up tables in the program
-this is very fast! The interface works well in both directions with a simulated
TTY. The only trouble is that we still have a current problem to drive the TTY
coil. Philo has suggested a solution that we didn't test so far. But from the
PIC point of view, everything works without fail.

2.Another cool project is from 2004. Francis Massen, a friend of mine maintains
Luxembourg's best meteo-station located in the LCD a college -which received a
visit from Chris Rogers in February this year
(http://www.lcd.lu/album/2006_2007/album0607.php?from=15). Francis also observes
ambient radioactivity and he therefore uses a very expensive sensor  RS03 from
Bitt Technology. This sensor communicates the data via RS232. But Francis needs
the radio-activity level as a voltage between 0 and 2 V (12-bit resolution). The
challenge for me was to design an interface that would sniff the serial
communication and extract the correct radio-activity level in nSv/h and convert
it into a proportional voltage. This was done with a 16F628 too.
http://meteo.lcd.lu/news/old_news/news_2004.html. You can see the life result at
http://meteo.lcd.lu/today_01.html. The page is updated every half an hour. The
radioactivity comes from the RS03 via PIC interface. (No fail since 2004, one
firmware update.)

3.Our RCX IR/RF radio repeater is another rather complex 16F628 project:
http://www.convict.lu/Jeunes/Mars_Mission_B/Mars_Mission_B_Main.htm

4.My favorite PIC is the 16F88. We have realized a most exciting still
top-secret project with this one, where we unlock all the power of it.

Once you've installed Ultimate_PIC, please go to the LabVIEW or ROBOLAB
vi\addons\PICLab folder and go through the install instructions. (This is not
absolutely necessary, but recommended only.) In the PICLab palette you will find
a HOW-TO menu with a tutorial. Note that we will now replace the name PICLab in
all the files shortly.