 Robotics / 27106
Re: Zamor Spheres
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 11 May 2007 15:08:55 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, jaa <elmtreeacademy@yahoo.com> wrote:

The biggest issue we've noticed is that the Zamors are
just over 2 units wide and therefore don't flow well
through 2-wide spaces, but are loose in 3 wide spaces.

This is indeed the main problem. As we originally defined a GBC it used soccer
balls (at the time, Zamors hadn't yet even come out), so most GBC-standard
modules not only use but take advantage of the fact that a LEGO soccer ball fits
very cleanly through a 2-wide space. As such, these modules tend to choke
unceremoniously on anything wider.

If you're not planning to hook up with bigger GBCs,
I'd say go ahead with Zamors -- they work fine as
long as you design with them in mind.

You could also have Zamors in the machine with soccer balls in a "regulation"
GBC... AS LONG AS you are very VERY sure that the Zamors can not "leak out" into
a downstream module that can't handle them. I've built some sorters that work
just great for this, allowing the Zamor to recirculate within a single module
(or tightly coordinated group of modules) while allowing the GBC soccer ball
stream to continue on through. But you have to be *VERY* sure in this case that
your "mixed" modules do not pose the slightest risk to innocent,
standard-following downstream modules.

Kind of like how you are allowed to own and use a gun, but expect folks
unintentionally shot with it because you didn't have the safety set to be
justifably upset with you. :-)

We've got 10-12 different modules in our GBC loop... see
me at the end of the semester for the final word) and
aren't having any major problems.

I'd love to see some still images of video - this sounds like a neat project for
the students. How do they like it?

--
Brian Davis