 Robotics / 27105
Re: Zamor Spheres
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 11 May 2007 14:42:51 GMT

<<but I gather that means they may not work in a ball pump e.g.>>

I chose to use Zamor spheres (because of their availability) for our GBC in
my small robotics/engineering class.  The kids have made ball pumps,
Archimede's screws, stair lifts, chain lifts, and a number of other
mechanisms that move Zamors, with no major obstacles.  The biggest issue
we've noticed is that the Zamors are just over 2 units wide and therefore
don't flow well through 2-wide spaces, but are loose in 3 wide spaces.  This
hasn't prevented us from building any of the GBC modules we wanted, but it
requires some extra thought.

It might be that we get more ball jams with Zamors because of their size
(~2.2 units dia), but if so, we're working them out.  We haven't found any
difficulties, so far, due to the greater weight of Zamors.

If you're not planning to hook up with bigger GBCs, I'd say go ahead with
Zamors -- they work fine as long as you design with them in mind.   We've
got 10-12 different modules in our GBC loop (although they've only been
tested in loops of 4-6 modules so far -- see me at the end of the semester
for the final word) and aren't having any major problems.

Good luck!

linmix wrote:

hmm, pity. Not that I'm likely to be able to participate in any big GBC
(no such events where I live, in the north of Spain), but I gather that
means they may not work in a ball pump e.g.

linmix

Matthias Paul Scholz wrote:
No, they are larger and more heavy than soccer or basket balls.
I have encountered problems when using them, in particular with
modules of other people that relied on the smaller size.

linmix schrieb:
I just saw Zamor Spheres are on offer at the Lego Store and I'd like
to know if they'll work for GBC - are they the same sizwe as the
soccer and basketballs? (those are hard to come by in any decent
quantity)

regards linmix