 Robotics / 27070
    Ultra Sonic Sensor Readings —Edwin Pilobello
   I've read the previous postings on the ultrasonic (aka "echo locator" among my students). I'm experimenting to see what the cone of energy looks like. Does anyone have experimental data I can compare to? I also need advice of detecting the scatter. (...) (17 years ago, 2-May-07, to lugnet.robotics)

        Re: Ultra Sonic Sensor Readings —David Schilling
     (...) Getting a return off a cylindrical or worse yet, spherical object is very difficult. The sound reflects off in every direction, pretty uniformly, and so little of it comes back to the sensor. I'm not sure about your idea for using multiple (...) (17 years ago, 2-May-07, to lugnet.robotics)

        Re: Ultra Sonic Sensor Readings —Brian Davis
   (...) No, but I can think of some ways to generate such data. Part of the problem is that weather or not the sensor sees a return depends on two spread functions: the spread of sound energy from the transmitter, and the spread fo sound energy (...) (17 years ago, 2-May-07, to lugnet.robotics)

        Re: Ultra Sonic Sensor Readings —Edwin Pilobello
   (...) OK. I'll read up. At the moment, I'm staring at a midium size paper cup. I think I'll slice it in half and see how good a reflector it is. I suppose the studs on an 8x8 plate were probably acting like baffles in my last experiment. (17 years ago, 3-May-07, to lugnet.robotics)