 Robotics / 27060
Re: Control Lab - serial/USB
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 1 May 2007 11:42:52 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, linmix <linmix@gmail.com> wrote:
The Lego Control Lab (peeron #9751) connects to a PC through a serial cable.
Since most laptops don't have a serial port I was wondering if anyone
knew how I might connect a Control Lab to a laptop.
Would a USB converter work (will RoboLab recognise it?) Could I use the
parallel port?

I do not have a Control Lab but I do have two USB->Serial converters and have
tested them on a variety of devices at work and have not had any issues yet.
These come with device drivers that create serial ports on your machine.  As
long as the OS you are using is supported by the manufacturer of the converter,
the OS will recognize it as a serial port.

The real question is what software are you planning to use on the PC with the
Control Lab?  The original DOS program would not like USB ports.  Robolab is
able to operate the control lab and should be able to work with the adapter.

Doug