 Robotics / 27003
Re: LEGO Mindstorms NXT - Robotics based Electronics
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 30 Mar 2007 11:00:48 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, Don Wilcher wrote:
As most of you know I've been exploring ways to revitalize electronics education
via this blog and teachings at Lawrence Tech University and now ITT Technical
Institute.What saddens me is the days of building electronic circuits on
breadboards or point-to-point soldering using Vector boards are far-few and in
between in tech schools and universities. Hands-on experimentation has been
replaced with virtual machine control and circuit simulation packages. These
virtual tools are great for benchmarking an idea or concept but they will never
replace building a working prototype. So, to revitalize the hobby, and
profession, I'll be providing more content on basic circuits that can easily be
interface with the LEGO Mindstorms NXT as well as the  RCX and Handy Cricket.

So to whet your appetite I've posted a few circuits discussed in my Digital
Electronics 1 class I'm teaching at ITT Technical Institute to revitalize
electronics education on my Blog <http://www.family-science.net/Blog.htm>
Enjoy!!!

Don Wilcher

Hi Don,

Thank you for your contribution in this area! I am an Electrical Engineer by
education, but I went down the Software Engineering path long ago. I tinkered a
little with electronics when I was younger, did some TV repair work and enjoyed
it. However, I became interested in software early and never got to the point
where I could confidently design anything of more than basic complexity.

I've been longing for those days again recently and disappointed at the turn
that Radio Shack took (my source for parts "back in the day") and the move the
world has taken to everything-on-a-chip. Of course, that is the direction it
needs to go in as our designs become more complex. I went to Radio Shack the
other day and got a projects kit that I thought I would share with my 11 year
old son and get him interested. He is a bit interested and enjoys putting things
together and seeing the lights flash and the tones sound.

This encouraged me to refresh my memory (many neurons stopped firing :-) in this
area, so I just purchased "The Art of Electronics" and want to do some tinkering
again.

I am an embedded software developer who has been working with ARM processors for
a while and I love doing code for the NXT. When I saw your post about
interfacing electronics with the NXT, it was right on time for me!

I checked out your web page and I'll be looking forward to your circuits.

Thanks again,

David Wallace