 Robotics / 26991
Re: Boosting power in a gear train
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic, lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 21 Mar 2007 04:00:17 GMT

Dean Hystad wrote:

Maybe you want a torque amplifier.  Think of it as the op-amp of the mechanical
world.  I've seen them used in a differential analyzer built from Meccano.  This
thing has a ton of gears and a lot of power loss from friction.  The torque
amplifier use power from another motor to boost the power of the gear train.

Aside from the Meccano version there are also some LEGO implementations on the
web.  Just search for "torque amplifier".

A torque amplifier is EXACTLY what I need; thank you!  Now I just need
to figureout how to build one.  Google has a few pix, two lego ones
actually.  I hope this will get me where I need to go!

Thanks for the help,
Rafe