 Robotics / 26986
Re: Boosting power in a gear train
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 20 Mar 2007 18:09:15 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, steve <sjbaker1@airmail.net> wrote:

So use a rotation sensor to sense the position of the weak input - and
use a NXT motor to track that position and drive all of the gears. You
can change the ratio of the input angle to the NXT motor's angle
in software and thereby have the first stage of the gearing be
cancelled  out in software so you can make best use of the torque
of the NXT motor at speeds at which it is most effective.

How much torque do I need to drive the rotation sensor?

  This was my first plan of action, but I was limited because I don't have a
rotation sensor other than the NXT motors themselves!  From a purist point of
view, I would really like a mechanical solution; once I go to sending feedback
via the wires, all the really cool mechanics I've worked on are for naught!

Do you think I could just use the nxt motors somehow or is that too much torque?
We are talking about an amount of torque less than (purely hypothetically, of
course) a Lego soccer ball falling 3 studs from the center of an axel.  I guess
that would be 3 stud-balls of torque!