 Robotics / 26754
Re: GBC- Magnetic Ball Separator
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Sun, 21 Jan 2007 03:09:43 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, Brian Davis wrote:
In lugnet.robotics, Peter Ehrlich wrote:

You may be able to kick the motor entirely.

I thought of this immediately, specificly adapting the light sensor / train
magent trick to try to get the dragon's egg to register. Alas, I've not gotten
it to work (*yet*...), as the ball is not actually magnetic, but just has a
piece of metal in it. At a spacing of about 1 tile, I get some motion, but not
always reliably. I still think it might work, but it's not as "simple" as I
first thought.

Again, very nice mechanism, Kevin.

I've tried the no motor thing, but gave up after I could'nt get it to work. The
pulling the ball to the side was one of the first things that I tried, but there
are too many things that were uncontrollable. For instance, the direction the
metal 'poles' of the ball are facing effects the distance from which the magnet
will pull on it. Once you can get the ball to be pulled every time, getting it
pulled far enough for a light sensor to read it without it getting stuck to the
magnet is the next challenge.

I'm satisfied with my design- it works and I'm afraid it will stop working if I
change it. :-)

-Kevin