 Robotics / 26624
Re: Locked motor
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Mon, 11 Dec 2006 22:53:33 GMT

"linmix" <lego-robotics@crynwr.com> wrote in message
news:457DDC45.3060605@gmail.com...
I've just received a 2nd hand lego motor (peeron #71427), and to my
surprise and (... well let's leave it at that) it's jammed.

The 9v motor you mention may have come from an older set, I've had one motor
which failed, I got it from the 8479 Barcode Truck set myself, when I opened
it up I found that the part which has the motor spindle had been chewed up
by the metal gear driving it, and this created a hollow in the plastic where
the motor could not engage the spindle and therefore not drive it at all,
rendering the unit inoperative.

I'm sorry to say if this has happened to your motor internally, the only way
to confirm it would be to take apart the motor, unfortunately this is not
recommended as there is no way to repair this sort of damage.

I remember seeing a website that showed the internals and possibly a way
to solve this (except for complaining to the person I bought it from). Can
anyone help me with a link (or other good advice) to see if anything can
be done.

If it is due to electrical fault, and the part inside the motor hasn't
failed, I would recommend that you keep the motor intact instead, and call
LEGO to arrange for a replacement motor unit, as later versions of this
motor address the drive spindle problem and will be less prone to this kind
of failure.

I don't know if you'll be asked to pay for it although it may be likely if
the motor looks used, and isn't looking new on the outside.

Cheers ...

Geoffrey Hyde