 Robotics / 26595
Re: Image processing with RCX
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 7 Dec 2006 06:27:02 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, manyak20055 manyak20055@yahoo.com wrote:
   Hello,

I wanna use a camera to understand path while robot is moving.

But i don’t know how to do this? I think there is a camera in lego. But is RCX enough to process these datas or i need to connect camera to computer?

And are there anyone try this before? Is this possible, i mean image processing with Java(lejos) and with only RCX proccessors.

I am waiting for your responses.

The LEGO camera is actually a Logitech USB camera, and cannot be interfaced directly with the RCX. It needs to be connected to a PC (or some other USB Host device) in order to operate. This restriction means that you probably need a PC somewhere in the loop.

    9731 Vision Command
141 elements, 0 figures, US$100, 2000
LEGO > MINDSTORMS > Supplemental

The RCX only has 32K of RAM total, so it doesn’t have much space to store an image for processing, let alone the space for any code to do so. It is possible to run image processing software on a PC and then use the MindStorms infrared tower to control the RCX and tell it what to do. That is probably the most viable way to approach your project.

Of course, I’ve been surprised on many occasions by some of the applications people have written for the RCX, so you should always keep an open mind even when someone like me tells you that something can’t be done. :)