 Robotics / 26471
Re: bluetooth and nxt
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 29 Sep 2006 07:59:34 GMT

In article <J6BAAt.Hz8@lugnet.com>, Alan C <amenpage@earthlink.%stopspam
%net> writes
I assume most the bluetooth discussion (i.e, the compatibility lists) have been
for a bluetooth adapter (?) you install on your computer to communicate with
the
nxt.  Is that correct?

Correct.  The compatibility lists are required because Windows XP
Service Pack 2 is the first time Windows supports Bluetooth.  The lists
are of Bluetooth devices that Microsoft directly support, and those that
ship with driver software compatible with the library that Lego's PC
software uses.

What about using a cell phone that is blue tooth ready?

"Bluetooth ready" implies (to me) a phone that is several years old, and
that may need an expensive add-on.

On the other hand some US advertising uses the phrase to mean a device
with built-in Bluetooth.

The phones I see, in Europe, either have Bluetooth built-in or do not
support it.

What does that
accomplish?  I mean as far as communicating with the nxt?

Currently there is little or no software to run on phones to communicate
with the NXT.

Lego say that some software "Coming Soon" for remote control of your NXT
robots will appear in their website, here:
http://mindstorms.lego.com/Overview/Bluetooth.aspx

Would I need a
separate bluetooth device for my cell phone and my computer?

Most computers need an add-on Bluetooth adapter, some recent laptops
have Bluetooth built-in.

For the cell phone we need the make & model.

Or would they
interfere with each other?

There are regularly 50 or more devices with Bluetooth enabled in my
office. They do not interfere.  :-)

And, last, can multiple (let's say two) nxt robots
communicate to each other using bluetooth?

Yes.

Ttfn,
Tony
--
  The NXT Step blog discusses the Lego Mindstorms NXT:
  http://thenxtstep.blogspot.com/