 Robotics / 26456
26455  |  26457
Subject:
Example of two-way NXT-to-PC communication
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 19 Sep 2006 21:08:47 GMT

I created a robot that demonstrates two-way bluetooth communication between a PC
and a NXT (and the limitations of such communication). A program on the PC
receives input from a joystick and sends commands to the NXT. This controls the
movement of the NXT robot. When you press on the trigger button of the joystick,
the PC sends a command to the NXT that causes it to stop moving and to do a
180-degree ultrasonic scan. It sends the measurements made during the scan to
the PC (one by one). The PC displays them on a radar-style display. When the
scan ends, the robot resumes listening to movement commands.

I found that while and shortly after the NXT is listening to bluetooth messages,
it can't send messages. They are simply dropped. Maybe quickly switching between
receiving and sending is possible in bytecode but not with NXT-G blocks; I don't
know.

More info and a video at http://www.tau.ac.il/~stoledo/lego/USJE/

Sivan