 Robotics / 26371
Re: NXT->PC Communication
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 25 Aug 2006 21:27:09 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, Geoffrey Schmit <gcschmit@gmail.com> wrote:

On 24/08/2006 at 3:53 AM, Tac Tacelosky/Smokefree DC <lego-robotics@crynwr.com>
wrote:

I've read the documentation for interfacing a program with BlueTooth or
USB, and both are very low-level documents, I'm hoping someone has
already wrapped these into a library.

The Driver SDK <http://mindstorms.lego.com/Overview/NXTreme.aspx> provides a C
interface as well as a C++ interface.  You could call this C interface from VB
to communicate with the NXT.

Unfortunately, the Fantom driver library does not wrap the Direct Command
functionality (i.e., the portion which lets you read sensor values and control
motors) in a high level API.  You still have to build the buffer and extract
values from the reply buffer.

I have wrapped the system command and direct command layer in a high level
class.  I have two versions, one which uses the Fantom driver library
underneath, and the other (which currently only works for bluetooth serial
communication) which talks directly to the NXT without the Fantom interface
layer.  The sourcecode is included in the most recent BricxCC sourcecode
release.  A link is on the BricxCC webpage (http://bricxcc.sourceforge.net/).

Included in the sourcecode is a COM wrapper around these two classes.  The
functionality is not 100% completely implemented but a great deal of it is.  I
will upload to my Utilities page a pre-built versions of the COM automation
objects along with sample programs that demonstrate how to use them sometime
this weekend.

John Hansen