 Robotics / 2628
Re: cool idea for all-around range sensor
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Sun, 10 Jan 1999 23:23:42 GMT

Have you devised some way for the output of each IR receiver to be bistable
as opposed to analog ?

In order to wire-or a bunch of them with resistors and get a unique,
repeatable reading for each receiver being "active" would require two stable
states for each element (and nothing in between).

This is easily done with switches, but I don't think such a scheme will work
for IR phototransistors without some more electronics between them.
Varying IR light levels will not always saturate the receiver elements
(assuming that was what you were planning to use as your active state), and
the resistance values you designed in will be compromised.

A time-shifted scheme might be interesting. Maybe you could setup the
emitters to fire in a predetermined order at precise intervals. Create an
"index" element (resistors only) that returns the same fixed level (a level
not achievable by any of the actual IR receivers) when the firing sequence
first begins. Syncronize the reading of the rest of the elements based on
seeing this "sync" level. This would permit you to read a range of values
from the receivers directly, and you could wire-or them without any
resistors.

--
SeeYa !
------------

Mark Williamson <lego-robotics@crynwr.com> wrote in message
i've read all the messages on all-around bump sensing, and have an idea.

I'm not actually a mindstorms owner, but have the MIT Handyboard and bought
some Radioshack IR emitter/detector LED's which i'm making into sensors.
I'm using the 1x2 legos to house the sensors (pic attached).  I've come up
with an idea on arranging these sensors (5 of them) in a triangular patter
to give 180 degree ranging view.  How this works is all of the sensors are
tied together in such a way that the values of each one are in steps. • Using
different values of resistors on the detectors will give you a range.
Starting at the left side, the first sensor gets the lowest (or none) value
resistor.  Moving up to the next sensor, we increment the resistor's value,
etc.  Now by actually wiring all 5 of the IR detectors together, we can • read
the entire array with one input on the RCX or Handyboard.  An input on
sensor 1 will give a higher value than input on sensor 2, with sensor 5
giving off the highest value.  If more than one sensor gets input, you will
still know what "side" the input occurred on by noting that the value was
excessive.  Then, just mount the IR emitters on the top of the detectors
(using another 1x2 lego), you have an IR 180 degree eyeball.

I'm sure there are flaws in this design; but it sounds good in theory.

Regards,
Mark Williamson